Kruger National Park, in northeastern South Africa, is one of Africa’s largest game reserves. Its high density of wild animals includes the Big 5: lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, and buffalos. Hundreds of other mammals make their home here, as do diverse bird species such as vultures, eagles, and storks. Mountains, bush plains and tropical forests are all part of the landscape. If you are planning your adventure to Kruger National Park and are confused about where to look for accommodation, fret not! We have got you covered with pros and cons of staying inside and outside the Kruger National Park. Have a read and decide what is best for you.
Staying Inside Kruger NP
The Kruger national park is owned by the Kruger national park authority and is maintained and handled by the government (SANPARKS).
- Accommodation inside the park is of 2 types – Basic camping and Mid-range chalets.
- Staying inside the park reduces your drive time to start your game drive/safari.
- Choosing to stay inside the park is completely safe, the campsites are fully fenced and protected with guards and staff working round the clock.
- Accommodation inside the park is comparatively expensive when compared to similar options outside the park.
Staying Outside Kruger NP
Opting to choose outside the Kruger NP means you will be accommodated in one of the private game reserves that lie in the “Greater Kruger” region. These private parks surround the Kruger National Park and there are no fences separating the Kruger NP and private game reserves. They form continuous wildlife geography as big as the nation of Belgium. So the wildlife is free to move around.
One must understand thoroughly that when you book a safari in private game reserves, there is hardly any difference in the type & volume of wildlife that you will find compared to Kruger NP.
- Accommodation in these private game reserves can range from basic camping to super luxury options.
- Private game reserves are also less crowded when compared to Kruger NP. This makes way for a more private and wholesome experience.
WE WOULD WANT TO REPEAT THIS AGAIN – THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE TYPE OF WILDLIFE AND ITS VOLUME WHETHER IT IS THE KRUGER NP OR A PRIVATE GAME RESERVE.